Tuesday, October 7, 2008
on this day, not so many years ago...in a beautiful paradise called havana, cuba, my mom was born.
i'm so stinkin glad that happened. for several reasons:
1. her existence means my existence. without her, i would not be breathing the beautiful oxygen that i am breathing.
2. she is hilarious. which brings a quote to mind: "this salad is SO HILARIOUS..." just one of the many wonderfully funny things my mom has said (this one while dating my dad and learning english).
3. she makes the best food EVER. like, when i think of eating my all time favorite meal, it involves a pot, rice, chicken, several spices...and most importantly, HER (cooking it, that is).
4. everyone loves her. in fact, i'm pretty sure all my friends in high school actually came over to my house not to hang out with me, but rather to hang out with my mom. she's that cool.
5. she loves everyone back. the flower man at ben franklin, the nail ladies at california nails, the groomer at Pets Mart, Mary of Mary's Post Net (a mail store), dogs of all shapes and kinds, my friends, my brother's and sister's friends, my husband, my husband's family, my baby...and, of course, ME.
so, today, i'm so grateful for my favorite cuban friend. my mom. like the movie, two weeks notice puts it, "she's the voice in my head." she really is.
i love you, mom! happy, happy birthday.